Monday, May 24, 2010

I need chihuahua help?

im planing on getting a chihuahua. but the thing is i have school and i would have to leave him alone for 8 hours. im wondering if i can leave him alone for that long and not have him stessed or have emotional problems.. :/
Answers:
Depends on the age...a Chihuahua will need to go out to pee, etc, and be played with more often than that if it's young. But 8 months old and up, then yes, but try to not too often, and take him outside to pee right before you go and RIGHT when you get in. Make sure if he is alone for 8 hours in a row that you keep them out of there for the rest of the day, otherwise it's too much confidment. And don't forget to leave him adequate food, water, and some TOYS in there with him!!
Why get a pet if you are having to leave it alone for 8 hours? I suppose you will put it in a crate and leave it all day to cry it's little eyes out.
they can be left alone but if your worried you may consider getting him a friend :]
crate training is wonderful for this. You will have to start up slow for a puppy. I would read up on the subject if I were you.
My Chi is ok left alone all day. I make sure he goes out right before I leave, and take him out right after I get home. I leave a radio on low for him all day, and leave him in the kitchen with lots of toys to play with. He seems fine, no problems that I can see.
Not a young puppy.. That's far too long to leave a puppy alone.
An adult dog can be left alone that long, but not a puppy. You need to get someone to let him out during the day, or you're going to have a real hard time housebreaking him. You can't crate a puppy that long without a break. You'll have to keep him in a kitchen or laundry room with a puppy gate across the opening, and lots of newspapers or pee pads. Do your best to crate train and house break him when you are home.
As far as stress, my dogs sleep all day whether I'm home or not unless I specifically do something with them. When I'm gone I leave the radio playing soft music or the t.v. on.
I got a chihuahua during school to and i just kept him in the utility room and put puppy pads down. My mom or dad would take him out at noon and then when i got home i took him out. And as for the temperment they learn to ajust to your life style and will get ues to you going to school every morning and will jsut exspect it. So dont worry about that. Just be worried about the house training. Hope this helped.
Having a pet/friend is a wonderful thing. But it sounds like you are a very busy person. Gone at least 8 hours a day. Do you think it would be fair to your new friend to be left alone all day. Not to mention - when and where is he suppose to use the washroom. To me owning a pet is as much a responsibility and committment as haveing a child. I believe now may not be a good time for a dog. Have you considered a kitten. They are usually more independent and use a litter box and give just as much love.PLEASE Think About It Carefully before you make your decision.
It is very sad when someone gets a pet to later get rid of it - considerTHAT stress on a pet - feeling unwanted just when he thought he was at home and loved.
If the dog you purchase is an older dog(around 1 or 2) it should be fine but if you get a puppy that is too long. They need food and water every 4 hours. It is also hard if you are trying to potty train them. If you leave them alone in the house and they are not potty trained then they go potty everywhere.
If you are going to leave him alone for 8 hours you are going to have a LOT of trouble housebreaking him when you are out of school. He needs a break and some play time in between if you get a puppy. An older dog can hold it longer, but still needs to be taught where to go to the potty. Do you have anyone that can help let him out 1/2 way thru the day? Take him out for a little walk and let him pee and play? I only say this because I have a Chihuahua and I would NEVER crate him for longer than 3 hours at a time. Small dogs need to be taken out a lot and especially when they are puppies so that they get the right idea and don't start going in your house, or you will have a mess on your floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment