Friday, May 21, 2010

I just read a question about hand-stripping. What does that mean?


Answers:
Certain coats have dead hair that dies but doesn't fall out. When a dog is hand-stripped, the groomer pulls out that hair, giving the dog a sleek, well-groomed appearance.
Generally, wire-haired dogs are hand-stripped. Most pet owners don't do this nowadays but clippering gives their wirehaired dogs' coats a different texture.
I'm not an expert on hand-stripping, but I have been taught to do it by an expert in her breed. I was preparing a dog for show. I can assure you that it does not hurt the dog at all when done correctly. Even when I did it, hardly an expert, it didn't hurt the dog. He just hung out, relaxed, while I stripped his coat.
If you are interested in stripping your dog's coat, I do recommend you spend an hour with an expert first.

No comments:

Post a Comment