Monday, May 24, 2010

I need advice on travelling alone, by minivan, with two dogs--from NY to ME.?

I'm trying to salvage a last week of vacation before I go back to work. I am staying at our summer place once we get to Maine; I'd really like to have the dogs with me, but only if we can travel safely without risk to their health from the summer's heat.
My concern is how to safely make quick pit stops so I can go to the bathroom (trip is 525 miles, can't exactly hold it!) without
jeopardizing the health of my dogs (summer heat isn't over yet, in fact, there are advisories for today.)
Should I wait until evening, and travel at night? (This is my instinct--either this or I board them with the vet, but I really want them with me.)
Is it ok to leave them in the car with the a/c running for 5 minutes? Or tie them (obviously away from traffic) outside the minivan briefly? Has anyone ever brought their dog(s) on leash into a highway rest area bathroom? (And how quickly did you get kicked out?) I bring plenty of water--and a cooler full of ice. Thanks!
Answers:
I do a lot of traveling with my dogs here in the south where it is a lot hotter. I travel late at night when they are bed down in the back, it is cooler out and I don't feel so bad leaving them in the car for about 5 minutes after the a/c has been on for a long time. The car does not heat up quick like it does in the summer sun. As a matter of fact, my black car still feels cool after I go to the bathroom, get the dogs out and walk them for a few minutes. Maybe parked for 20 minutes and it is still cool in there.
Your instincts are good. If you are a night owl, travel at night. If you are a morning person, leave at like 5am when it is still cool out. You should be able to get to your destination before the hottest part of the day.
Unfortunately, you may not take dogs into public restrooms at rest areas. I would also advise against tieing them out. People are sometimes mean to animals or steal animals or if another animal comes up, you are not there to controle your dogs.
Also, do not give your dogs ice. Especially to cool down. They do not cool like we do, and so it can cause the stomache to cramp and start bloat. "room temp" water is best for a thirsty dog. If one of your dogs starts to over heat, take a cool damp towl and put it on the inner thigh. offer tappid water and turn up the a/c.
Best of luck... and no matter how much they beg, you be the one to do the driving.
I travel from SE MASS to northern ME about 3X's/year with my black lab, the 3 rest stops I stop at are very dog friendly, I would leave him in the car with the a/c running, bring a spare car key so I could lock up, most rest areas have dog areas to walk, water, let them do their thing, The dogs and you should be fine!!
Enjoy your trip.Go ahead and travel with them . my uncle of 82 years old went from Miami to San Antonio in only 2 days with 2 dogs and a bird, He stay at a motel with the pets one night , he park with the ac on for only 3 o 4 minutes and took water and food for himself and the dogs and no problem .Enjoy your trip.
The best thing you can do is leave about 3 a.m. Have everything packed the night before so all you need to do is toilet the dogs and yourself and get in the van. Do not slurp away on coffee, water, or soda. Just sips if necessary. That should eliminate at least 2 of the bathroom stops. You will be traveling in the cooler part of the day. Also, if you are driving along an interstate, there is always a place for you to toilet the dogs. However, I would feel much better if you would just stop along a side road somewhere. Sometimes those rest stops have undesirable people lurking around. Also, you cannot bring the dog into the restroom. Why not bring a friend along and your problem is solved. Wouldn't you like to enjoy your vacation with a friend anyway?
well when i went to a restroom i saw 5 dogs in there and the workers were petting him. there not a loud in the bathroom so if you have a husband or someone your going with to hold the dog while you go to the bathroom and then you hold it while he/she goes. when you are driving keep the air on high so they dont get ho i sujest you take them out every 3 hours. when you stop at a rest stop let them poop and have waer and food.
One thing I would make sure that you do when traveling with your dogs it to take along another set of keys to your van. Leave the van on with the ac running but, please set the emergency brake! You hear horror stories where vans are left running and someone bumps the gearshift.
Try to stop places that other dog owners may not stop, when I travel with my dogs I always worry about what my dogs can pick up in "pet only areas". Like parvo, fleas, etc. Just take along a method of cleaning up after your dogs and normally no one says anything.
Good luck and safe trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment